Fall is one of the best times of year to enjoy everything Chicago has to offer. With comfortable temperatures, lots of activities and special events, the period between summer and the holidays lets you experience the very best of this vibrant Midwestern city. Let’s look at some of the best ways to enjoy Chicago in the fall.
Autumn Activities and Events
- Exploring Chicago’s Parks and Museums – This is something you can do any time of year but it’s especially pleasant to walk around Chicago during the fall. The Field Museum, Art Institute of Chicago, and Chicago Cultural Center are just a few of the amazing museums you’ll find in the downtown Loop area. Enjoy a walk around the park and the 10 museums that comprise Museums in the Park.
- Fulton Market Ocktoberfest – This autumn festival, on the weekend of September 30 to October 1 on Fulton Market and Halsted Street, is curated by some of the city’s leading chefs and restaurant owners so it’s a great place to sample some great food. Remember that West Loop parking is scarce during popular events, so it’s best to leave your car somewhere else.
- Nobody Sleeps: A Monster’s Ball – This pre-Halloween event is at the Palmer House Hilton on Saturday, October 7 and features live entertainment, a costume party, adult trick-or-treating, specialty cocktails, and a good selection of chocolates and other savory sweets.
- Arts in the Dark – A celebration of the arts and Halloween parade on Saturday, October 21 on Columbus Drive.
- SOFA Art & Design Fair – November 2-5 at the Navy Pier. This art and design expo features a variety of exhibits, lectures, and presentations showcasing some of the most innovative designs.
- BeerHopTacular – November 4 at Cinespace Chicago Film Studios. This is Chicago’s original craft beer festival with food, competitions, and 150 craft beers to sample.
- Christkindlmarket – November 17-24. A traditional German holiday market where you can enjoy a festive atmosphere with unique gifts, entertainment, food, and beautiful decor.
- Fall and Holiday Shopping – Fall is always a popular time for shopping as you look for outfits to prepare you for cooler weather and start seeking holiday gifts. Chicago has lots of choices from malls to independent shops. Some of the best shopping choices include the Magnificent Mile Shopping District, State Street, and the Shops and North Bridge.
- Concerts at the Riviera Theatre – Just because the summer season has come to a close doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your favorite bands at one of Chicago’s finest event venues. JAM productions is able to attract worldly talent from all over to perform in the Uptown neighborhood. The concerts are typically hosted from early September through the end of February.
This is just a sampling of the fall events and activities you can enjoy in Chicago. Keep in mind that this is an incredibly diverse and exciting city with a wide selection of restaurants, shops, concerts, sporting events, and other activities that are particularly enjoyable in autumn.
Chicago Parking Options
In addition to finding the best places to explore, it’s also important to get the logistics right. Chicago parking is frequently challenging so it’s good to form a plan for your transportation needs as you make your way around the city this fall. Looking for a parking place at the last minute often results in frustration as you’re competing with so many other drivers. Whether you’re visiting or live in Chicago, it helps if you find parking options that let you avoid wasting your time searching for a parking place.
Lastly, monthly parking in a convenient location ensures that you have a regular place to park. Keep in mind that Chicago is a pedestrian-friendly city with lots of options for getting around, such as buses, trains, taxis, and Uber. In many cases, it’s more convenient to drop your car off at a long term parking spot and get to your destination by other means.
If you frequently find yourself asking “where is parking near me?” it’s worth considering ParqEx, a peer to peer parking option that connects people who need parking and those with spaces to rent. This Chicago startup provides a convenient sharing economy parking solution that makes it easier to enjoy the city without worrying about where you’re going to park. Finally, for more information, contact us.