Top 10 Picnic Places in Madison
Madisonians are professionals when it comes to enjoying the outdoors & picnicking. Have you ever heard of Concerts on the Square? Every Wednesday night, groups of people gather on Capitol Square with their checkered blankets and straw picnic baskets to enjoy live music. Capitol Square is only one location for a picnic, albeit a pretty excellent one. Are you looking for more picnic spots in Madison, Wisconsin? Look no further; here are our top 10 picnic spots for the Madison area:
ParqEx Top 10 For Madtown
- Capitol Square: It seemed fitting to start with this heavy-hitter. Capitol Square is home to Wisconsin’s Capitol building and some of Madison’s most incredible restaurants. With these dining options all around the Capitol, there’s no shortage of great food. If you’re not feeling like grocery shopping for your picnic basket, picnicking can be made easy with take-out!
- Military Ridge State Trail: This trail travels across 40 miles, providing stretches for bikers, runners, and walkers. Are you looking to go on a weekend bike ride and enjoy a picnic? Military Ridge State Trail is the location for you.
- Henry Vilas Zoo: No picnic location will scream nostalgia quite as loudly as a zoo! In Madison, the Henry Vilas Zoo is a perfect location. With free admission to the zoo, anybody can come and enjoy a picnic.
- Hoyt Park: Looking for a peaceful & quiet escape? Hoyt Park is the perfect location for a picnic deep inside the park’s quiet forest. This 22-acre park is also home to several hiking trails, a basketball court, and a softball field. In addition, it has a large area to toss a frisbee around. If you’re looking for a peaceful picnic followed by a quick game of pick-up basketball, Hoyt Park is the place for you.
- Olin Park: Is lake-life calling? Olin Park is the ideal spot to enjoy a picnic under the sun on Lake Monona. Here, you’ll get beautiful views of downtown Madison, catch some rays & enjoy a delicious picnic.
- Olbrich Park: Olbrich Park, also on Lake Monona, provides 90 acres of fun. For example, fishing, canoeing & kayaking are some water activities. Looking for sports? The park certainly delivers. For example, it has basketball courts, B-Cycle stations, soccer & softball fields. It even has tennis & volleyball courts. Looking for variety, look no further.
- Tenney Park: On the shores of Lake Mendota, Tenney park also has entertainment options. This 38-acre park offers a gorgeous view of Lake Mendota, grassy picnic spots, and many sports options. It even has pickleball courts!
- McPike Park: McPike Park is a tiny 9-acre park between Willy Street and East Washington. It is home to festivals, farmers’ markets, and Madison’s first skatepark. The accessibility & greenery certainly make McPike a perfect spot.
- James Madison Park: Located in the heart of downtown Madison, James Madison Park is another small park in the city. This 12-acre park is popular amongst the UW Madison community. Students often come for its basketball & volleyball courts and even a picnic with friends.
- Picnic Point: Part of the UW Lakeshore Nature Preserve, Picnic Point is a mile-long stretch of land along the shores of Lake Mendota. Are you looking for a romantic picnic? Picnic Point is a perfect spot for a date. Enjoy your picnic with scenic lake views, beautiful bird songs, and your date.
In short, we hope you enjoy our list of the top ten picnic locations in Madison. Now that we reminded you of several places to enjoy a picnic get outdoors and enjoy yourself. Are you worried about not finding parking? Book your city parking ahead of time with ParqEx!